Let me tell you… This is a BIG confession. I LOVE cookies. Like, absolutely obsessed with their delicious, yummy, goodness, and so does my husband. Lately, I have been making a batch of chocolate chip cookies every time her comes home from work travel! Yikes! It really tests my discipline, and because I love cookies, sometimes I get a little carried away. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I have tried, I just can’t make Cauliflower taste like chocolate.
So, in order to keep my waistline, I decided to compromise, and set out to find a “clean” cookie recipe. These Double Chocolate Macaroons turned out fabulous… Super rich and totally dreamy! I just had to share the recipe with you! (Oh, and just because they’re clean, doesn’t mean you should eat all the macaroons in one go… HA! They are seriously THAT good!).Ingredients:
- 8 oz dark chocolate (60% cocoa or greater) chopped, divided
- 1 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup organic evaporated cane juice
- 3 tbsp natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small microwave safe bowl, melt 3 o chocolate in microwave on high for 45 seconds. Stir and continue to microwave on high for 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted. Set aside and cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk coconut, cane juice, cocoa powder and salt until well blended. Stir in melted chocolate until just combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg whites and vanilla and almond extracts until combined. Add egg white mixture to coconut mixture and stir until well blended. Scoop level 1 tbsp and pinch into a low pyramid shape; transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining batter making 24 macaroons. Bake for 14 to 15 minutes, until outer layers are firm, bottoms are lightly browned and centers remain soft. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt remaining 5 oz chocolate in microwave for 45 seconds. Stir and continue to microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted. Carefully holding each macaroon upside down by its base, dip peaks into chocolate. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet in the refrigerator until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. Then store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.